Kalamunda Primary School (5228)



School Overview



Kalamunda Primary School has a proud history stretching back to 1895 when the first state school was built on the corner of Headingly and Stirk Streets in an area that was then known as Gooseberry Hill. The school became Kalamunda Primary School following the proclamation of the new townsite of 'Calla Munda' in 1901. The spelling was soon changed by the Surveyor General to today's spelling of 'Kalamunda'. The school was moved to Heath road in 1925, where it still stands today. The original schoolhouse was relocated to the Kalamunda History Village and is well worth a visit to see how much our school has changed over the years.

Today Kalamunda Primary School is a vibrant and dynamic school with excellent facilities and staff catering for a bustling hills community made up of varied backgrounds and cultures. We have welcomed modern technology into our classrooms, but we have also managed to maintain a strong 'country' feel that has existed for more than a century. Our site is proudly shared with Kalamunda Primary School Education Support Centre and the Kalamunda Dental Therapy Centre. With Kalamunda town centre and Kalamunda Senior High School both within a few minutes walk our location ensures we are a true 'hub' of our community. With our school motto 'Strive to Excel' and a firm belief in community we have consistently turned out top graduates who have gone on to become very successful in their chosen fields. Many staff can trace their roots back to their early days at Kalamunda Primary School and many live their lives with their families as integral members of our school community. There is strong collegiality amongst staff who can be characterised as energetic and firmly committed to the school and its students.

Our school has extensive grounds with both structured and nature play areas, seating areas, netball and basket ball courts and a large oval for sport. It is equipped with a multi purpose hall, specialised arts department, a well-resourced library, a multi purpose undercover area and a school canteen.

Recognised in the community as having a safe, stimulating environment the school currently caters for approximately 350 students from Kindergarten to Year 6 drawn from the local community. Students are offered a comprehensive learning program across all year levels and enjoy specialist programs in the Arts, Instrumental Music, Library and Indonesian. Information and Communication Technology is integrated throughout all learning areas. Senior students are provided with opportunities to engage in leadership roles as prefects, committee members and faction captains. In these positions students have the chance to make decisions as elected representatives of their peers.

Harmonious and valued relationships exist between the school and the community. Parent participation in their child's education is actively encouraged and supported with many parents helping in the class rooms and with extra-curricula activities. The school has active parent bodies in the P&C and the School Council which are enthusiastically involved in their child's education and support the school to provide extra facilities such as our Naturescape playground. Parents appreciate the pastoral care approach of the school and are very supportive of the School Dress Code.