The School of Isolated and Distance Education (SIDE) is the main centre for Kindergarten to Year 12 distance education and online learning. It provides quality education for students who for various reasons cannot attend classes in a mainstream school.
SIDE students include:
* geographically isolated and unable to attend a local school.
* long term travellers within Australia and overseas
* unable to attend regular school due to health conditions
* involved in elite sporting or artistic programs
* school-based students whose local schools are unable to offer courses they wish to take.
SIDE offers the same education opportunities and support as most primary and secondary schools, including support for students with disabilities, students with learning difficulties and gifted and talented students. A feature of the student experience at SIDE is the support from teachers in all years, and our secondary student services team. We have a broad range of Year 11 and 12 courses, catering for all post-school destinations, including university, TAFE, private providers and employment.
SIDE is a leader in the use of technology to deliver a high standard education regardless of location. We use digital technologies to deliver online education programs. It occurs in two forms:
* Synchronous, real-time communication through the WebEx web-conferencing platform. Students have access to scheduled live instruction.
* Asynchronous, 24/7 access. Moodle is used to deliver learning and student and staff collaboration.
A strong pastoral care program ensures that students are well supported throughout their schooling. Teachers from Kindergarten to Year 6 support students and their parents who are partners in their child's education. Skilled teachers and student coordinators from Years 7 to 12 support the transition to secondary school and ongoing study.
Please contact us for further information about the school.
T: 9242 6300