The 23rd Western Australian Schools’ Jazz Festival will be held on Sunday, 13 August 2017. The festival is run in conjunction with the Australian Jazz Education Association (AJEA).
Application forms will be available to download by Friday, 24 March 2017.
The aims of the festival are:
- To give ensembles an opportunity to play in an outstanding venue.
- To give ensemble members an opportunity to hear others perform.
- To provide each ensemble with constructive comments from informed adjudicators.
- To present to each ensemble a certificate which recognises its participation.
There are two ensemble categories in the festival. The Combo category is designed for smaller jazz groups with eight players or less. In the Full Ensemble category there are three divisions:
- Division 1 - ensembles who perform repertoire at or above level 3.5.
- Division 2 - ensembles who perform repertoire at level 3.
- Division 3 - ensembles who perform repertoire at or below level 2.5.
Each participating group, whether full ensemble or combo, is expected to present an appropriate program of up to three pieces, with a total performance time not exceeding 15 minutes. Although there are no set pieces, ensembles are encouraged to choose a balanced program of recognised jazz repertoire that includes a swing arrangement and a ballad, complementing this with either a Latin or a fusion/rock/funk jazz tune. Bands are encouraged to present at least one work composed by Basie, Ellington, Mingus, Miles, Monk or Nestico.
A list of suggested repertoire may be downloaded here.
All ensembles participating in the festival will receive adjudication comments and a certificate of recognition for their performance in the festival.
Participating schools must hold a current APRA license - this does not apply to government schools, which are automatically covered by the Department of Education. While teachers or other adults are permitted to play in participating ensembles, ensembles in Divisions 1 or 2 will not be eligible for awards if adults perform with the ensemble.
Photographs of participating ensembles from the 2016 festival are available for viewing and purchase at prophotobooth. Use the password 'jazz16'.